Tuesday, May 17, 2011

safe sun

Here in Portland people tend to get really excited when we have sun, and as a result get sun burnt very easily. So I put together a fancy list of a few vegan sunscreens to keep your skin as healthy as your insides!
This sunless tanner from Nature's Gate is the perfect way to add a little glow to your skin during the winter if tanning beds aren't your thing. I'm a huge fan of their unscented lotion, making this lotion great to use whenever I'm not nursing a new tattoo. Just remember to wash your hands after application! They will turn orange, and no one likes that.
As a rock climber this Aqua block, also from Nature's Gate, is exactly what I need in the summer. When climbing at places like Smith rock, it's necessary to wear the highest protection of sunblock you can find so you don't burn to a crisp. The water resistance is a big plus for anyone who does summer sports or spends a lot of time in the water, nothing worse than sweating off that spendy sun block.

Food Fight grocery carries this sport sunscreen by Alba Botanica. Other local stores that carry vegan sunscreens are New Seasons and Whole Foods.
It's always important to take care of your skin after being in the sun as well, because everyone forgets sunscreen sometimes! Aloe vera is always a good option or you could try an after sun lotion like After Sun Face & Body Moisturizer by Aubrey Organics
For those of us who like indoor tanning I am sad to report that I haven't been able to find an indoor tanning lotion suitable for vegans. If anyone knows of such a thing please contact me! I miss my tanning salon. :(
[note: Even though I have been known to use indoor tanning, I don't promote indoor tanning because I know that it can cause cancer. If you choose to tan indoors please be aware of the health issues involved.]

No comments:

Post a Comment